Sunday, January 31, 2010

Winter Reading

I love to read in the winter. My daughter and husband often comment on how quickly I go through books during the long, cold months of January and February. I am rarely without a good read in the evenings. They bring me such entertainment and pleasure. I love a good book. I love the smell when I open one up for the first time, and the feel of the crisp pages under my fingertips. I could never do a Kindle or other reader. Books are welcomed friends, whom I enjoy until I can get into my garden again.




One of my new favorite books is Guernsey Literary and the Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. This is a lovely story told entirely through letters and telegrams. It reminds me a little of Love Letters by Eli Cantor, another of my favorites. The unique form and rich, historical context is a perfect backdrop for the obvious, but pleasing, love story that unfolds.



The other book that I would recommend is The Piano Teacher by Janice K. Lee. This is an exquisite tale of love, war, and betrayal - nearly irresistable to put down.



The next book on my list is Love Walked In by Marisa De los Santos.

No comments:

Post a Comment