Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Thinking Spring

I am hopelessly yearning for spring. I love the smell of the earth, dirt under my fingernails, and little green sprouts that poke their heads through the soil. I have forced bulbs all over my house to bring the spring feel to February. This week I have been working on creating a "master plan" for my new potager. A potager, the French version of the kitchen garden, is suppose to be beautful in addition to functional and yielding. Last year was my first full summer in our new home so, I started small: two raised beds with tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, green beans, peas, rosemary, basil, Italian parsley, and sage. This year I plan to extend it to include: Maxibel hardicot verts, garden sorrel, mesclun mix, Goodman cauliflower, chives, garlic chives, Dark Opal basil, Ronde de Nice squash, lavender, and delphiniums. I also have my eye on a chippy old table at a thrift shop that should make a perfect potting bench. I ordered all my seeds from a fantastic organic seed supplier: http://www.highmowingseeds.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment